(IQTMarket&TechnologyAppraisal) IQT has released another in its series of market reports.
Quantum repeaters are a critical enabling technology for quantum networking. The advent of commercial quantum repeater products will transform the market in much the same way that optical amplifiers transformed the telecommunications business. With quantum repeaters available to quantum networkers, fiber optics will begin to dominate quantum transmission. Click here for additional information including TOC, Description and Pricing.
The applications for high-data rate long-haul quantum networks are only just beginning to be thought through. At this point in time, there are multiple schemes for how to build quantum repeaters, none of which have been proven. When there is a breakthrough, not only will quantum networking be brought much closer to reality, but the quantum repeater business will grow quickly to a sizeable market. At the same time, a fully commercialized quantum repeater, because of its inherent value to quantum networking, could itself generate a substantial market. Without quantum repeaters, there is no solution to maintaining entanglement over fiber optic cable at distances more than approximately 100 km, thus a true worldwide fiber optic quantum network cannot be built. In this new report Inside Quantum Technology:
• Reviews the current status of quantum repeaters and provides an analysis of where this technology is headed both technologically and commercially.
• Provides a roadmap for quantum repeater products from laboratory proof-of-concept to technically sound and economically viable products.
• Offers the reader an analysis of the leading quantum repeater strategies and our assessment of their likelihood of success in the global market. Work in the area of quantum repeaters is accelerating at major firms such as NTT, Raytheon BBN, Toshiba, Corning, and many others.
• Includes strategic profiles of all of the leading research groups, regional consortiums, and industrial firms involved with developing quantum repeater systems and components. In these profiles, we discuss the product marketing strategies that are evolving for quantum repeaters, how quantum repeaters will fit into quantum networks and how quantum repeater projects will be financed.
• Discusses material choices for quantum repeaters. Quantum repeater materials research has been focused on rare earth ion-doped solids, diamond color centers, crystalline solids, and alkali metal vapors and molecules.
The report also contains 10-year forecasts for quantum repeaters in volume and value terms. Three potential market scenarios for quantum repeaters (low growth, medium growth, and high growth) are explored with the economic and market opportunities and implications of each possible growth path indicated for each scenario.