(WeForum.com) The Global Futures Council has published a report detailing “The Most Frequently Asked Question About Quantum Computing?” The white-paper like PDF report includes the answers for audiences not familiar with the technology or its uses.
1) What Makes Quantum Computers Special?
2) What is a qubit?
3) Why is quantum computing so hard?
4) What applications are quantum computers good for?
5) Which technologies are being used to build quantum computers?
6) Will quantum computers ever completely replace today’s classical computers?
7) Will I ever be able to purchase a quantum computer and install it in my office or home, or even carry it in my pocket like a smartphone?
8) What needs to happen for us to see a useful quantum computer?
9) If quantum computers will be so powerful, won’t they be power hogs and require an immense amount of electrical power with the associated environmental impacts?
11) What timeline do you forecast for quantum computers and when will we see them in common use?
12) Can a quantum computer be used to help find solutions to the current coronavirus situation?
13) I read recently that Google has developed a quantum computer that has achieved quantum supremacy. Can you explain what that means?
14) Ten years’ time is not all that far away. Is anyone doing anything about this?
15) So I have nothing to worry about because we will have replacement technology available soon, right?
16) If we do manage to keep Moore’s law going for the next 20 years then there is no need for quantum computers, is there?
17) Will blockchain and cryptocurrencies be affected by this?
18) What is the bottom line? How should we think about the ways that quantum computing will affect society?
All good questions with good answers in the report.