Is Pentagon’s Defense Innovation Unit Looking Toward Space-Based Quantum Internet?
(Sociable.co) The Pentagon’s Defense Innovation Unit is looking to the private sector to develop space-based quantum sensing prototypes within two years — the kind of sensors that could contribute to a space-based quantum internet.
Quantum technologies will render all previously existing stealth, encryption, and communications technologies obsolete, so naturally the Pentagon wants to develop quantum technologies as a matter of national security.
- The Pentagon wants space-based quantum sensing prototypes within the next two years.
- Space-based quantum sensors are a major component of a proposed space-based quantum internet.
- A quantum internet would be most plausible if it were built in space through a “constellation of satellites.”
- SpaceX is already building a “constellation of satellites” for beaming high-speed internet from space.
- SpaceX was contracted by the Pentagon.